The design goes back to a 1911 Patent, consisting of a body in 1 1/2-inch wide webbing, doubled and stitched to provide an accommodation of 2 1/4-inch for the Belt. An upper scabbard loop of webbing, 1 1/8-in. wide, was stitched onto the body, with a second loop of 1 1/2-in. wide webbing below. A loop of ½-inch webbing, stitched behind, inside the belt loop, formed a hilt retaining strap, to stop the Patt. ’07 bayonet, by then Bayonet, No. 1, from swaying too much.